I always want try make Japanese curry rice after eat it one of Japanese restaurant here. so i start searching for the recipe and found more of Karē raisu recipe are using instant curry roux. I have not found any Japanese mart in my place and of course haven’t found instant curry roux too. I was continuing my blog-walking and found recipe how to make curry roux at home, it simple only need 4 ingredients but lucky me, one from that 4 ingredients ( garam masala ) i cant found in my place too. Garam masala is one of indian spice which sold at indian store and i havent found indian store at my place too. Continue surfing and found recipe how to make garam masala then make curry rice from scratch here.. I just add some tori katsu for additional topping.
Yippee.. Here is my pic for first attempt to make Japanese Curry rice with tori katsu from scratch.. ;}
Japanese Curry Rice
1 tbsp oil
2 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, grated
1 inch ginger, peeled and grated
100 gram skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into cube
1 carrots, peeled and cut into bite sizes
2 cup water or chicken stock
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 potatoes, peeled and cut into bite sizes
1 batch of home made curry roux
1 tablespoon tomato sauce
1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
1. Heat oil in a pot and stir fry onions until translucent.
2. Add garlic and ginger, mix well.
3. Add chicken breasts into the pan and cook until no longer pink.
4. Add carrot and mix well.
5. Pour water or stock into the pot and bring to a boil. Skim off scum as needed.
6. Add salt and sugar. Simmer for 20 minutes.
7. If you are making home made curry roux, this is a good time to start cooking the roux.
8. Add potatoes and simmer for another 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
9. Add some of the soup to the sauce pan containing the home made curry roux, stir until fully dissolve, then pour into the pot with chicken and stir until well combined and the sauce thickens from the addition of curry roux.
10. Add tomato sauce and soy sauce and stir until well combined. Adjust salt and sugar as needed.
11. Turn off heat and serve hot with steamed white rice.